Westermann - History of the publishing house

1838

Foundation of the publishing house
On 21 May 1838 the bookseller Georg Westermann (1810-1879) founded a publishing house in Braunschweig.

1845

Construction of own printshop
Georg Westermann added an own printshop to the company in 1845.

1849

Start of newspaper publishing

1853

Publication of the first school atlas
Georg Westermann builds up the widely known cartographic institution which allows him to produce world atlases.

1883

Publication of the first DIERCKE school atlas

1912

The first offset press

1914

The award-winning Hansa Fibel [Hansa Primer] is published
Westermann has great success in the first non-cartographic primer generation.

1949

Pedagogical trade journals
After World War II, the publishing house especially concentrated on school and extracurricular educational and extended training materials. Expansion.

1977

Installation of the first roll offset printing machine

1984

Integration into the Medien-Union GmbH, Ludwigshafen

1986

Acquisition of the Arena publishing house

1988

Newly revised jubilee edition of the DIERCKE world atlas

1990

Acquisition of printshop in Zwickau

1990

Development of a new textbook and atlas program
After German reunification, this printed material was revised for all the new federal states.

1991

Start in computer cartography

1993

New information centre in Hamburg
Completion of the Westermann sites in Germany and Austria.

1993

Introduction of an in-house quality management system

1994

The first interactive CD-ROM

1997

Homepage on the Internet with complete Online Catalogue

1997

Development of a DTP/preliminary stage department with scanning areas, data organisation and administration

1998

Installation of two computer-to-plate illustration machines
The direct digital print plate illustration facilitates the communication with customers and reduces the pre-print operations.

1998

Expansion of the site to full-stage service provider with preliminary stage, printing, print processing and lettershop.

1999

Dedication ceremony of the warehouse expansion with a capacity of 1,600 Euro palettes

2000

Installation of a uniformly implemented printshop software for all printshops

2003

Expansion of the post-press department with saddle stitchers and PUR adhesive binding

2004

Inauguration of a book sewing and binding machine for efficient and rapid creation of book blocks with thread-stitched bindings

2005

Installation of high-performance Workflow and computer-to-plate exposure machines according to PSO standard

2006

Installation of a modern book production machine for making case bindings

2006

Expansion of the existing Lithoman roll offset printing machine with electrostatic rehumidification

2006

Installation of two digital printing systems with subsequent further processing

2006

PSO certification in printing

2006

Certification of the plant for processing FSC- and PEFC-certified materials from responsible forestry.