The bookseller Georg Westermann (1810-1879) from Leipzig opened a publishing house on the 21st of May 1838 in Braunschweig.
In order to increase the profitability of his publishing products, the first book presses were introduced after Georg Westermann received a license for his printing company on the 22nd of February. In 1847, the first external orders were completed.
As one of the first cartographical publishers, Georg Westermann did away with hand-coloured maps and focused instead on colour printing. It became the innovative focus of his company. Stone and copper printing departments followed.
Steam-operated printing presses replace manual presses.
Together with the lithographer and cartographer Eduard Gaebler from Leipzig, Westermann developed a process for economically producing maps on letterpress machines. Dual-colour printing was born.
Maximilian Treutler and a “consortium of Palatinate men” formed the “Pfälzische Verlagsanstalt, Neustadt an der Hardt” publishing company. Regionally significant books and periodicals were published such as the “Pfälzische Kurier”, the local Vorderpfalz newspaper.
The company used a special machine for illustration and colour printing: the 5353 chromotype machine (83x123 cm format) by König & Bauer. Three and four-colour serial printing begins.
A printing works was affiliated with the publishing company.